By Tina Zhou, Early Years Nurse
With the flu season coming, it is easy for many people to fall ill. In Chinese traditional culture, certain kinds of food are very helpful to relieve cold symptoms. Let’s go and see what can be used in your kitchen to help alleviate symptoms and help you through this season.
- Pear stewed with rock sugar for coughing.
- Orange peels stewed with rock sugar for coughing.
- Ginger stewed with brown sugar for a runny nose.
- Radish stewed with the white part of scallion for a runny nose.
- Gargling with salt water as soon as a cough begins.
- Heating 200~400ml of vinegar and letting the vapor fill the room for 0.5~1 hour for preventing a cold.
- Have warm beverages. No cold beverages.
- Do not get caught in a draught or drafty place. Keep the body warm.
It is important to note that these tips are unable to replace the advice of a medical doctor or any medical treatments. Please consult with the doctor when you catch a cold.