The Western International School of Shanghai (WISS) invite applications from librarians who are able to organize, develop and promote the library to ensure that effective resource and information services are provided and that a love of reading is encouraged within the WISS community of students, staff and parents.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Collection Development, organization & ordering
- Responsible for collection development including selection, ordering and maintaining the Library budget.
- Responsible for ensuring that the Library collection reflects different cultures and languages to meet the needs of the IB programmes.
Library Policies & scheduling
- Develop and review Library policies in collaboration with the Asst. Head Librarian.
- Update staff, students and parents on developments.
- Offer staff induction and ongoing professional up-skilling to promote Library services and use of the Library system.
- Maintain a Library schedule offering fixed and flexible sessions to support whole school borrowing and research needs.
- Responsible for ensuring correct cataloguing of Library, teaching and classrooms resources.
Cooperative teaching and planning
- Attend collaborative planning meetings as needed.
- Teach and develop information literacy and research skills with students and staff in accordance with curriculum needs.
- Resource units in collaboration with the Asst. Head Librarian, teaching staff and IB coordinators.
- Provide specialist assistance to students and staff re use of the Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC), online databases and developing their understanding of the library systems and organization.
- Oversee Library volunteer programme.
Literature promotion & displays
- Responsible for encouraging and promoting appropriate literature choices school wide.
- Plan relevant displays to support IB Learner Profile, Units of Inquiry, Academic Honesty and literature choices.
- Promotion and organization of author visits and participation in Literary Festival events and international collaborative events such as International School Library Month.
- Participation in appropriate professional development courses to support the IB curriculum and enhance the provision of Library services.
- Participation in the local networking groups to provide networking opportunities between Libraries in Shanghai and the surrounding area.
Personal Skills and Attributes:
Qualified librarians hold a diploma level or equivalent qualification in Librarianship and a minimum or three years post-degree experience working in a school library. This
ensures knowledge of resource management, information services and access systems
including information technology systems.
Due to the current restrictions with visa issuance and entry into China we are only able to consider candidates currently resident in China.
Please send a resume, including references and a photo, directly to Dr. Greg Brunton, Head of School, firstname.lastname@example.org