WISS challenges and empowers students through an
unparalleled IB education.
We will achieve this vision for our diverse community through innovative, high-quality, inquiry-based learning and teaching, with individualized student pathways.
High-Quality Learning & Teaching
WISS, as a community of learners, supports a pedagogy based on current research in education. Such understanding of the conditions necessary for high quality learning leads to high quality teaching that transcends traditional learning environments.
- Actively engage in their learning through choice and initiative;
- Question, inquire, and reflect upon their learning process;
- Share ideas and make thinking visible;
- Set goals for continued growth.
This is achieved by:
- Nurturing meaningful relationships and learning partnerships within the community;
- Creating an environment for growth;
- Fostering innovation and creativity;
- Valuing agency and voice;
- Cultivating curiosity and igniting passions.
Global citizenship learning at WISS focusses on issues and concerns that affect people and the planet as a whole.
It aims to give students an appreciation of interdependence and includes development of ethical and moral thinking in relation to these complex issues, with the aim of promoting a sense of social responsibility and positive actions that can help promote sustainable futures for all.
By embracing the IB Learner Profile attributes and through purposeful learning opportunities, WISS is committed to developing global citizens who:
- Value the culture, language and unique histories of others;
- Act upon local and global issues;
- Advocate for fairness, justice, respect, and equity;
- Promote sustainable development.
In addition to the IB’s Learner Profile Attributes, our graduating students will possess the qualities of:
As a CIS Member school , the Western International School of Shanghai upholds the CIS Code of Ethics. All CIS members are expected to:
- Fulfill the promises stated in their guiding statements, policies, contracts and promotional materials.
- Strive for excellence.
- Nurture a culture of care in which the education, safety and well-being of students and others are paramount.
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Respect the dignity and equality of all individuals, groups and cultures.
- Promote global citizenship.
The Western International School of Shanghai is also fully committed to the principles and values enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNRC) and seeks to ensure that these are promoted in all aspects of the school’s operation. The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child is an international human rights treaty that grants all children a comprehensive set of rights. We place great importance in all of our students knowing and valuing the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, to improve well-being and develop every child’s potential.