WISS students in Grades 3-12 have been learning to use OverDrive during their class library time. Because OverDrive has many features, we will continue to teach students to use OverDrive on an ongoing basis.
We launched OverDrive in mid-January 2018, and as of Wednesday 28th March, WISS students have checked out 391 e-books and audiobooks. We have made a good start, and are confident that the more students use OverDrive, the more they will discover its many benefits.
What is OverDrive?
OverDrive is an online e-book and audiobook library just for WISS students. All books available on OverDrive were selected for WISS by our PYP and Secondary School Librarians. Only students at WISS have a login to our OverDrive site. OverDrive books can be downloaded or read online. Since they are electronic books, they are excellent for travel. No more heavy books in your suitcase!
What kinds of books are available?
WISS currently owns 291 OverDrive e-books and 130 audiobooks. The majority of these are fiction titles, but we also have some nonfiction, classics, graphic novels, and audiobooks. This collection will grow over time.
What kind of device do I need?
OverDrive can be used on any device that can connect to the internet. Macs, PCs, ipads, smart phones, Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and Chromebook can all access OverDrive or the free OverDrive app. For a full list of compatible devices, please visit OverDrive’s device profiles guide.
How do I use OverDrive?
- Go to the WISS OverDrive website: https://wisscn.libraryreserve.com.
- Bookmark this site—you will want to use it a lot!
Your OverDrive login is:
Username: your WISS email address (PYP students do not need to include @wiss.cn in the username)
Password: library (This is the default password. Students can change their password by talking to one of our librarians.)
- Click on a book title. You can either read a short sample or borrow the full book.
- You may Read Online or Download the Title. Please note that if you download a title, it can only be returned within the OverDrive app. If you do not have the free OverDrive app on your device, you can see a librarian to return the title for you, or you can simply wait until your checkout period for that book expires.
A few quick facts:
- Students can check out up to three WISS OverDrive books at a time.
- Books return themselves automatically after two weeks by default, or you can return them early through OverDrive. You can change your checkout period to 1, 2, or 3 weeks in your OverDrive account settings.
- When you open a book in OverDrive, use the Readability Settings to change your font, font size, margin size, line spacing, and/or background color. This is an excellent feature for anyone who gets headaches while reading, as well as students with dyslexia or visual impairments. You can find the Readability Settings by opening a book and clicking in the middle of any page. Look for the three horizontal lines in the top-right corner; the Readability Settings are inside that menu.
- Since Secondary School students use OverDrive as well, there are some titles that are too mature for PYP students. PYP students will only see titles available to PYP students. They cannot check out a book that is for Secondary students.
- Using OverDrive takes some practice! If you have any questions at all, please ask Ms. Rosevear (PYP) or Mrs. Collazo (Secondary).
- We are planning a parent workshop for using OverDrive in the near-future. Stay tuned!
When is OverDrive available?
Always! OverDrive never closes and is available anywhere in the world where you have an internet connection. Users can checkout OverDrive books during school holidays, on weekends, and even in the middle of the night! Students can also read offline by downloading the book when they do have an internet connection. Of course internet speed is a factor, but OverDrive downloads in China usually take only a few minutes. If your OverDrive download is running very slowly, you may find it helpful to turn off your VPN and close all other apps.
Is there an OverDrive app?
Yes! The app is free, available world-wide, and highly-recommended! You will have to add the WISS Library site to “My Libraries” in the app before you will be able to login to the school account.
Secondary students have had time during their library sessions to download and set up the OverDrive app on their personal devices. As personal devices are not allowed at WISS for PYP students, they will need help installing the app. If you would like help with the OverDrive app on your child’s device, please bring the device to the WISS Library. We are happy to help you set it up!
Do I need a VPN to use OverDrive?
No. Both the website and the app are fully available with or without a VPN.
Are there audiobooks?
Yes! Audiobooks are fantastic if you would rather listen to your books or if you want to read along. We currently own 130 audiobooks in WISS OverDrive, plus we even have some new student-created audiobooks available! We hope to add more student-created audiobooks in the coming months.
Can parents sign up for an OverDrive account?
At this time, we are not able to offer parent accounts. This may be a possibility for next school year.
I need help or have questions. Who can help me?
If you have general questions, please contact our WISS Librarians, Leigh Collazo and Isolde Rosevear. OverDrive has many features, and we expect questions from students and parents. We want you to enjoy this service and all it offers, so please do not hesitate to ask for help. We are planning a parent workshop on OverDrive and will send information about that shortly.
Leigh Collazo, Head Librarian and Secondary School Librarian
Isolde Rosevear, PYP Librarian